MADE51 is a project of the UNHCR (UN High Commissioner for Refugees), a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities, and stateless people. By pairing refugee artisans with experienced social enterprises in their host country, MADE51 stimulates local economies while fostering a mutually beneficial relationship between refugee artisans and their hosts.
MADE51 works with five refugee artisan groups in Africa.
- This exquisite Shooting Star ornament is handcrafted by Malian refugees living in Burkina Faso, and is a shining example of traditional metalworking skills and designs that are passed from one Tuareg artisan to the next.
- The Blossom of Hope ornament is crafted by internally displaced women living in a camp in a remote area of South Sudan. The intricate glass beading represents the blossoming of hope for brighter future for their children.
- Each Radiant Circle ornament is crafted by Burundian refugees returning home after decades in exile. Natural grass and recycled food ration bags are transformed into radiant discs that represent new opportunities for artisans as they rebuild their lives in their home country.
- The Rising Sun ornament is crafted by Burundian and Congolese women living in Rwanda. This tiny sweetgrass basket is handwoven using a time-honored weaving technique. The design represents the additional strength and persistence needed to rise again after being forced from home.
- The Blue Mountain Ornament Crafted by Afghan refugees living in Pakistan, these beautiful triangle shaped ornaments symbolize the iconic landscapes of Afghanistan. Dimensions: 2.75" x 2.75"Crafted from: Linen, thread, glass beads & cotton padding. Made in: Pakistan
Crafted by Syrian refugees living in Lebanon, this hand-crocheted star ornament symbolizes dreams and hopes of those displaced from their homes, that can shine as bright as the stars in the sky.
Each ornament is individually packaged and ready for gift-giving in a MADE51 box, complete with an artisan story card.
Dimensions: 2.5"L x 2.5"W, 2" tassel
Crafted from: Wool, yarn & wire.
Made in: Lebanon